At The Friendlies, our volunteers are more than a helping hand – they are our ambassadors & champions; they are a smiling face, a kind word and a friendly ear who will listen.
What is a Friendlies Volunteer?
Our volunteers forge relationships with our staff by supporting them in their roles. They also make connections with our patients and visitors, often being the first welcoming smile seen when arriving at The Friendlies.
Whether you can spare a little or a lot, your valuable time will be put to good use across the Friendly Society Private Hospital, Friendly Society Pharmacy and The Friendlies Foundation.
Our volunteers enjoy their role at The Friendlies for:
- Gaining a sense of purpose
- Giving a helping hand
- Engaging in useful work
- Supporting a Bundaberg not-for-profit organisation
- Because The Friendlies is a truly great environment to work in
Benefits of Volunteering
In general terms, volunteering brings a number of social benefits.
Research has shown that people who volunteer experience the following benefits:
- A sense of purpose and fullfillment
- A new social network
- Minimise the effects of stress and negative emotions and increase happiness
- Build self-confidence and maintain physical health
As a volunteer at The Friendlies you also receive benefits including:
- 5% discount at Friendly Society Pharmacy in addition to 15% membership discount
- Access to free selected vaccinations
- Voucher at Atrium Café for shifts of six hours or more
- Uniforms provided
- Monthly staff barbecue and free morning and afternoon tea
Volunteer Roles Available
- Meet and greet patients and visitors entering the hospital
- Escort patients throughout the hospital
- Provide support to administrative & clinical staff
- Assist with marketing & public relations activities
- Deliver items to patients from the hospital pharmacy, upon request
- Offer daily newspapers to patients via trolley rounds
- Assemble literature, mail and promotional materials
- Provide social support to patients
- Support patients and relatives in Day Surgery
- Assist with gardening and maintenance of the hospital grounds
- Assist with patient surveys to gain valuable feedback
- Driving the Patient Transport Vehicle
- Providing access for patients to the lending library book trolley
- Many other roles available
Become a Friendlies Volunteer
We aim to make our volunteer roles varied and rewarding so you can help us in our mission – to be the hospital of choice for friendly quality healthcare.
If you are interested in joining The Friendlies volunteer team, please download and fill in the Volunteer Application form. Drop it off at the Volunteer hub at main reception, or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any further questions please contact our Volunteer Co-ordinator on 4331 1024.