Manage your sports and running injury
Is a foot, ankle, lower leg or knee injury getting in the way of you achieving your goals?
The Friendlies Physiotherapy Service podiatrist has a special interest in treating musculoskeletal and sports injuries such as; tendinopathy, heel pain, shin splints, arch pain, Achilles tendinopathy and knee pain to name but a few.
Whether your goal is to keep fit, doing short walks, generally being active with friends and family or running long distance, our Podiatrist can help.
Causes of Injury
When you are involved in sport or high impact activities your body can be at risk of becoming injured.
The main causes of sports & running injuries are:
• Overuse injuries; when a repetitive mechanical stress is placed on a structure (muscle, tendon, ligament, bone) greater than it can handle the structure will become injured. This may occur due to poor postural alignment which places extra stress on the structure, causing it to become injured
• Poor conditioning (lack of strengthening/stretching)
• Doing too much too soon, not allowing the body enough time to recover
• Trauma; such as a sprained ankle
• Poor technique
We can help
We can assist you with a treatment plan and to get you back to training and competing at your best. Just a few of the treatments available;
• Footwear assessment and recommending the right sports shoe depending on your foot type
• Gait analysis using treadmill and video recording equipment to explain your running technique
• Orthotics to support the alignment of the foot and ankle if required
• Foot and ankle mobilisation techniques to restore joint range of motion
• Dry needling to treat muscle pain
• Supportive ankle braces
• Rigid and kinesiology sports tape
• CAM Walker Boots for a short period of time to immobilise the ankle and reduce inflammation
To make an appointment call the Friendlies Physiotherapy Service on 4331 1888.