For the past 6 months, The Friendlies has implemented small team nursing in Units 1-5 and CCU.
Small Team Nursing is a method of care delivery, where a group of nurses, under the guidance of a registered nurse team leader, are collectively responsible for a group of patients.
There have been proven benefits to this type of nursing care
- Improve patient satisfaction
- Improves patient outcomes
- Improves the quality of nursing
- Increases patient observation and safety
- Decreases missed care
- Increases staff competency at all levels as a “grow your own model”
- Improves staff satisfaction
- Increases staff support at all levels
- Improves staff development
- Improves productivity & efficiency
- Utilises human resources effectively
As part of team nursing, The Friendlies has also implemented hourly rounding on patients. Studies have shown this may reduce falls by 50%, pressure ulcers by 14% and buzzers by 37.8%, as well as an increase in patient satisfaction.