Did you know that there are Physiotherapists who specialise in women’s health and continence?
Women face a range of health issues during different periods of their life. Pregnancy and menopause and their related conditions are 2 stages of life that can significantly affect the body. Most women assume that this is a normal part of life and that they must live with these conditions. For example, being able to run, jump on the trampoline with kids, cough and sneeze and leaking a little bit of urine is normal. In many instances, that is not the case and a trained physiotherapist can help.
Women’s health physiotherapists can help women who are struggling with problems such as:
- Bladder and bowel dysfunction (incontinence, urgency, frequency and pain)
- Pelvic organ prolapses
- Pelvic and back pain
- pre-and post-natal back and pelvic pain
- Pre and post gynecological or pelvic surgery
- Pelvic floor dysfunction
- Rectus abdominis diastasis (post-pregnancy)
- Post breast cancer surgery
- Sexual dysfunction
Appointments cover a thorough assessment and discussion of the concern and an individualised treatment plan for your condition.
For example, a session for urinary incontinence might include:
- Practical tips and ways to reduce urinary frequency and urgency
- Information about diet changes that can be made to avoid irritating the bladder
- An exercise program to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.
The recommended program will help the patient identify, exercise, re-train internal muscles such as those in the pelvic floor, and ultimately help to improve their quality of life.