The Friendlies Physiotherapy Service is made up of Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapist and a Podiatrist. Find out more about them and their interests.
Matt graduated from Sydney University in 1998 and completed several years in a large teaching hospital in Sydney, working in areas including orthopaedics, neurology, outpatient care, cardiac and pulmonary rehab and hydrotherapy.
He received further training in Muscle Energy Techniques (MET), Dry Needling, Swimming, running and cycling biomechanical analysis training and plaster and synthetic casting.
Matt has extensive experience working as a physiotherapist including:
- Facilitating the introduction of extended scope physiotherapy in an emergency department to ease the load on doctors
- Working in a busy sports injury clinic in Sydney which dealt with a range of musculoskeletal injuries and participation in ankle research
- Working in a variety of sports roles, including rugby and netball, with preventative taping and injury management
- Two years working in both public and private hospitals throughout the UK.
Matt has worked at The Friendlies for more than 11 years. In that time he has developed the Physiotherapy and Allied Health service as well as assisted with the CQU Australia physiotherapy program and developed strong professional relationships with all the orthopedic surgeons, general physicians and other Allied Health providers.
He enjoys all types of patient conditions but gains the most satisfaction from enabling people to return to their desired level of performance, whether that is walking or competition.
Areas of Interest: Matt has a keen interest in running and riding injuries and has completed several course assessments of bike and running biomechanics as well as swimming biomechanics.
Areas of Speciality: Dry needling, casting (plaster and synthetic), injury screening for running and swimming, muscle energy techniques for thoracic, lumbar and pelvic areas, joint replacement rehabilitation.
Matt loves running and touch football.
Sara has a Bachelor of Physiotherapy and worked for Queensland Health for two years before joining The Friendlies over 10 years ago.
During her career, Sara has also travelled as a physio with the Queensland Junior Soccer Girls team to the national titles.
Sara enjoys working with all types of patients, but further training and increasing patient needs have seen her develop extra skills in
- Dry Needling
- Women’s Health
- Pre and Post Natal
- Pelvic floor
- Bladder training
- Workstation/worksite assessment
- Sports Injuries
Outside of work, Sara was heavily involved in soccer before having children and used to referee internationally. Now she loves all sports and fishing.
Cory has a Bachelor of Physiotherapy which he studied locally at CQUniversity completing his degree in 2017.
Cory has grown up in Bundaberg and has been heavily involved in soccer in the local area both playing and refereeing at State League level.
Cory’s special interests include:
- Acute and Chronic Back pain
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Sports injuries and rehabilitation
- Orthopaedic Rehabilitation
Outside of work Cory is a keen fisherman and loves spending time on the water.
Natalya is a Bundaberg local who graduated with a Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours) which she studied locally at CQUniversity completing her degree in 2018, joining the Friendlies team as a New Graduate physiotherapist in 2019.
Natalya’s Special Interests include:
- Inpatient rehabilitation
- Post-operative orthopaedics
- Sport injuries
- Muscle Energy Techniques
Outside of work Natalya enjoys riding her horses and playing netball.
Nivea is a Bundaberg local who graduated with a Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours) from the Central Queensland University Bundaberg campus in 2018 and worked in the community and Aged Care sector before joining The Friendlies in July 2019. Since working with The Friendlies, Nivea has obtained further training in complex home modifications.
Nivea enjoys all aspects of Occupational Therapy however her key focus is home modifications, functional assessments, equipment prescription and hand therapy including splinting. She is able to assist with:
- Completing full home safety reviews and recommending complex home modifications including ramps and bathroom renovations
- Full functional capacity assessments for NDIS
- Trial and scripting of mobility aids such as manual and power drive wheelchairs
- Assessment of hand injuries and fabrication of splint
Outside of work Nivea enjoys spending time at the beach or spending time with her friends and family.
Niamh graduated with a Bachelor of Occupational Therapy from the Australian Catholic University, Brisbane campus in 2019. Since graduating last year Niamh worked in the community and aged care sector before joining the Friendlies in April 2020.
Niamh enjoys working with all aged groups- from paediatrics to the elderly population in a range of practice areas. As a new graduate, Niamh is keen to try new things and give everything a go.
Niamh is able to assist with:
- Completing full functional capacity assessments for NDIS
- Providing paediatric therapy to assist with children’s development
- Completing neurological assessments with patients and working on rehabilitation goals
- Completing home safety assessments and minor home modifications including the installation of threshold ramps and grab rails
- Trial and scripting of mobility aids and assistive technology
- Completing cognitive assessments
Outside of work, Niamh enjoys travelling, going to the beach and spending time with her friends and family.
Kymberly has a Bachelor of Podiatry from the University of South Australia and has worked in Bundaberg for the past five years since leaving Adelaide.
She has experience working in Private, Community and the Aged Care Sector.
Kymberly enjoys all aspects of podiatry but her main interests are Paediatrics, Sporting injuries and the Diabetic Foot.
She is able to prescribe orthotics and strengthening exercises, perform nail surgeries and can offer laser and mobilisation treatments.
When not at work Kymberly loves to play Volleyball and spend time with her family.